Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Horseback Riding at Kualoa Ranch - Hawaii

May 19, 2010 marked the official start of my plan to accomplish 101 goals in the next 1001 days, which will end coincidentally on February 14, 2013. 

For those of you interested in participating, please go to the dayzeroproject.com to be a part of it.  It will be a lot of fun, if not add to your life in significant ways.  Why not check it out?

On May 19, 2010 I accomplished one of the things on my list:  horsebackriding.  I went horseback riding at Kualoa Ranch for one hour.  



Let me tell you ... Horses are beautiful animals, but have minds of their own.  Horses are exceptionally clever and each have their own personalities.  They know when a person is experienced in horseback riding and will take full advantage if you are not.  I know mine did.  It makes me laugh whenever I think about it.

My horse loved to walk slow, take breaks and eat grass, and bite other horses!  I thought to myself, "Oh my Gosh  Don't freak out."  I'll be honest. I was a little scared.  I couldn't make him go any faster because I was too afraid.  But at the same time, I thought, "Can you please walk a little faster?!"  But I realized after a certain point that I totally had no control over my horse.  And I absolutely didn't want my horse to begin sprinting either, so I decided I better not take the risk. 



While a group of us went up the mountainside, the view was stunning.  The ocean was beautiful from a far, while it was incredible to look up at the mountains to see all of its ridges close-up.  I could see Chinaman's Hat in the distance too.  It was breathtaking. I couldn't have been more happy to be horseback riding at Kualoa Ranch, fulfilling one of my goals at one of the most beautiful locations.









As we descended down the trail, it was clear how much our tour guide was passionate about his job, as he loved to share the knowlege and history of Kualoa Ranch, paniolos (cowboys), Hawaiian history, and more.  I wish I could have only heard more.  My horse was slow and I couldn't catch up to hear our guide speak loud enough from the distance I was at, but I did catch some interesting facts.  We also had a chance to see where certain movies and shows, such as Pearl Harbor and Lost, had been filmed, as well as where they stored their equipment. 

After the tour was finished, I climbed off the horse and realized, a one hour tour is perfect.  Any longer and I might've had bruises on my butt for the next couple of days. 

If any of you are interested in horseback riding, it's a good experience.  Just remember, wear closed-toe shoes.  I would highly recommend pants too.  You can get a way with wearing shorts, as long as they aren't too short or else you might have a problem.  I can't believe some people wear skirts and heels! If you are afraid of horses, don't worry either. You'll learn basic commands before you get on the horse and they know the trails too.  There's also a guide who will be there with you.

Bring your camera too!  No backpacks are allowed, but a camera can be taken along for the ride.

Have fun!

5 comments:

  1. Wow horseback riding! I remember when I was small we went to go ride ponies but I didn't get to ride because the guy forgot about me and I didn't speak up. A day at Kualoa Ranch and Chinaman's hat sounds nice! Thx for sharing this one. I hope you get your 101 things done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are absolutely right about the part of horses know exactly if the rider know how to control them. But at least you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I've always wanted to try horseback riding. Maybe I should go to Kualoa Ranch.

    But what I'd really love is to properly learn how to horseback ride, like by taking lessons. That's probably pretty expensive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't tried horseback riding. maybe i'll add that to my to-experience list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kyle, that's so funny. LOL I hope I can get as much as possible done too. It's a lot of fun!

    John, I did have a great time! =) I love horses.

    Eleni, you definitely should go to Kualoa Ranch! You'll feel really comfortable there, esp. if it's your first time riding. I know what you mean. It can be expensive, but I do believe they may have classes! =)

    Janjan, you should definitely add it to your list. It's fun to do at least once in your life!

    Thanks everyone for the comments! =)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails