Sunday, May 2, 2010

Slow-cooker Indonesian Beef Rendang

The other night, I wanted to try a Indonesian rendang recipe from "Today's Creative Crock Pot Cookbook, 2nd Edition."  I tossed together the ingredients for the recipe and kept it simmering on low for 12 hours.  How did it turn out?

Unfortunately, it didn't turn out too well.  I've had rendang before and it tasted nothing like it.  My teacher made it for our class once and it became one of my favorite Indonesian dishes.  However, the one I made from my recipe book was truly horrible.  The meat tasted gritty and it wasn't like how I remembered it. Anyone have a good rendang recipe to share?

I will continue to hunt for another rendang recipe.  Maybe when I go to Indonesia this summer, my host family will be able to teach me how to make the real stuff.  For now, here's the recipe I used.  But I wouldn't recommend it.  Then again, maybe there's someone out there who may enjoy it. In that case, I hope you like the recipe.

2 lbs. round steak, chopped

Using a food processer, blend:

2 medium yellow onions, roughly chopped
3 cloves of garlic
1 Tbs. fresh ginger, chopped
4 small red chili peppers
1/2 cup water
2 tsp ground coriander
1 Tbs. tamarind paste
1 tsp ground turmeric
2 tsp curry powder


Afterward, add the blended ingredients:



Then add the following:

2 cups coconut milk
stem of lemongrass, 4 inches long

Once all ingredients have been added, cook rendang on high for 4 to 6 hours or on low for 8 to 10.


It wasn't my favorite recipe and I definitely will not make it again. In the future, I hope to have a much better recipe to share with all of you.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Mary.
    You could follow the recipe at here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB4RvzJJf5w&feature=related
    Its easy and simple. The taste is delicious too.
    Also there are some Indonesian recipes there.
    Have a try...!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails